I would like to export my font as OpenType Ps font(.otf) and include the OpenType-features Kerning and Standard ligatures. I already created Kerningpairs and Standardligatures.
In the "Opentype features" dialogue I selected "Insert selected features" and checked the boxes for "Kerning" and "Standard ligatures". Also the "Kerning" and "OpenType" boxes in the "Font options" are checked.
Now if I save the font as .otf both of the options dont seem to work. With- and Without the options selected the font has a size of 37kb.
If I convert everything to TT curves and save the font as TrueType font(.ttf) it works sometimes (last time I saved the font it worked after the 10th time re-opening and saving).
Post by Allan Murray on Feb 11, 2014 5:01:59 GMT -5
Are you using the demo or full version? If you are using the demo version, then you will have to bear in mind that only the first 50 glyphs are saved. If your OpenType features are referencing glyphs outside that range, then the OpenType feature will not be saved.
Post by Allan Murray on Feb 12, 2014 5:30:19 GMT -5
How are you determining that it 'doesn't work'? I don't think the file-size is an accurate way of determining this. File sizes are usually rounded to the nearest Kilobyte, and the extra file size for the OpenType features is probably less than one Kilobyte in this case.
I was able to save your font with OpenType features without any problems (attached oresund3_withOT.otf (37.35 KB)).
Have you tried using the font in an OpenType-savy application?
To test the font I used Adobe illustrator and indesing cs5 (on MacOS X and Windows7 64bit) and the OpenTypefeatures dont work. I also downloaded your copy of the font and the OpenTypefeatures dont work for me aswell.
Post by Allan Murray on Feb 16, 2014 17:09:55 GMT -5
Yes, those are correct. I apologise because the font I posted above is subject to the error mentioned in this thread: cr8.proboards.com/thread/185/problem-ligatures (ie ffl and ffi are not working). But other than that, the OpenType features appear to be working.
Attached here is the updated font (without the ffl/ffi problem), and a screenshot in InDesign CC Windows 64 bit (also same result in CS6). The top line has ligatures and kerning activated, the bottom line doesn't.
Post by melvinuspo on Feb 16, 2014 18:40:19 GMT -5
Yes, I know how to activate the OpenType features in InDesign and they are working fine on other fonts. Your version of the font works fine as well. Also your version of the font has a size of 41kb on my harddrive and mine only has 37kb (so there must be something missing).
I dont know whats wrong but Type 3.2 seems not to include the OpenType features when I try to save the font.
(As mentioned in the first post: I already created Standardligatures. In the "Opentype features" dialogue I selected "Insert selected features" and checked the box for "Standard ligatures". Also the "OpenType" box in the "Font Options" are checked.)
When I open your version of the font with Type 3.2 and save it the Ligatures are also not working.
I'm using a MacBookPro(Intel) with Mac OS X 10.6.8, Adobe Illustrator 5.1 and Indesign 5.5.
Post by Allan Murray on Feb 16, 2014 22:48:58 GMT -5
The only thing I can think of is that it is a problem with the script (though what you posted above looks ok). Can you try deleting the script files (back them up first) and then reinstall Type 3.2 (re-download first from your original download link to get the latest version if you haven't got it already). This will refresh the scripts. Try outputing with the original scripts (I know that the ffl and ffi will not work - but just for the sake of diagnosis at this stage).
Also, a very useful tool you can use to view which OpenType features have actually been saved in your font is: DTL OTMaster Light 2.0.0 (www.fontmaster.nl/english/downloads.html). Select Gpos/GSUB Table Viewer from the tools menu.
Post by Allan Murray on Feb 17, 2014 4:48:39 GMT -5
There does seem to be an issue with the Mac version of Type 3.2 when exporting OpenType features to some .otf fonts (your font exports ok to .ttf with features - but that means converting the curves). The initial tests I did above were on the Windows version, which was fine - but I have just realised that you are on OS X.
I will look into this and issue a fix as soon as possible (within the next week). In the mean time, if you have a PC (you mentioned Windows 64bit above), I am happy to issue you with a Windows license - just email me: [email protected]